Incl. VATExcl. VAT

What Cannot Be Put in a Skip?

29th Mar 2021

When you’re hiring a skip, it’s important to be clear on what can and can’t be put in a skip. Certain items aren’t permitted with regular skip hire and require an additional charge. Read on to find out what you cannot put in a hired skip.

(Updated January 2023.)


Items not permitted in skips

Upholstered furniture

Upholstered furniture is any household seating that may contain POPs, including but not limited to:

  • Sofas
  • Sofa beds
  • Armchairs
  • Kitchen and dining room chairs
  • Stools and footstools
  • Home office chairs
  • Futons
  • Bean bags, floor and sofa cushions


Hazardous waste

Waste is generally classified as hazardous if it could cause potential harm to the environment. This would include chemicals such as pesticides, acids, fluids, oils, fridges and asbestos.

Similarly, any containers used to house hazardous waste cannot be put in skips.


Electrical items & appliances

Electrical items such as refrigerators contain chemicals that can harm the environment. All electrical items and household appliances should be taken to a recycling centre and not put in household bins or hired skips. In some cases, appliance manufacturers may collect items to recycle.



As batteries and battery packs contain acid, they are not permitted in skips.


Gas tanks/cylinders

Some recycling facilities accept gas bottles. You can check your local authority at Recycle Now.


Fluorescent light bulbs

Whereas the older type of light bulbs are not recyclable and can be thrown away in your dustbin, the newer energy saving fluorescent bulbs can be recycled at local recycling centres.



Check with your local council to see if recycling centres accept tyres. There are also some tyre manufacturers and dedicated businesses that will recycle old tyres.



Paints must be disposed of in the correct manner since the chemicals can be harmful to the environment. You can either leave it to dry on paper or cardboard and dispose of it in your household waste or consider donating it.



Similar to paints, glues and solvents may be disposed of in your household waste if it is dried on paper or cardboard. Alternatively, there are specialist adhesive waste disposal services, or you can contact us for advice.


Medical or human waste

Medical or human waste cannot be accepted within your household waste or in hired skips. You can request a clinical waste collection via the Government website:


What should I do if I have items that cannot be put in one of your skips?

Call us on 0114 236 6222 if you plan on disposing of any of the items listed above, and our team will be happy to advise you.


Where can I find further information?

You can learn more about disposing of hazardous waste on the Government website.

Book a skip easily online or contact us if you have any questions about skips.